Thursday, September 28, 2006

Brief spot check.

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth. I wish I could find more time and stamina to spend with this blog, but for now I can only afford a capsule list of my recent activities:
1. 775: Archival Adminstration & Services is going well. Last Tuesday the class submitted papers studying examples of Records and Archives in the News. Mine was about a series of mainstream media articles in the wake of The National Library of Scotland's plan for a digital repository of leading Scottish cultural figures, reportedly to include writers' blog posts and emails.
2. I will be interning with Martha Briggs, curator of Midwest Manuscripts at the Newberry, as part of 775. I am going to be processing the papers of Cloyd Head, who was a playwright, theatrical director and the business manager of the Goodman Theatre in Chicago in the 1920s.
3. This afternoon I got a crash course in EAD. The final stage of my processing of the Cloyd Head papers will be creating a finding aid in EAD format. That's Encoded Archival Description, a SGML-derived, XML compliant coding standard that helps different libraries/archives create machine-readable descriptions that are better suited to archives than MARC. Last semester I started coding in HTML -- this semester I'm writing XML.
4. The Newberry's Library Council, on which I am serving for two years as a staff representative, had its meeting last week. Among other things, the council was able to decide that the Newberry will close the Friday after Thanksgiving for the first time in years, allowing several library pages the chance to have an extra day's rest. Maybe I'll sleep then.

EDIT: Had to go in and make some changes 10/9 due to my dismal spelling and some other inaccuracies.

4 Comments:

Blogger EBB-Texan said...

Sound like a cool project! Enjoy and get some rest on that Friday.
Betty

9:32 PM  
Blogger Joy Austria said...

Sleep is for the weak Andy! I doubt I will be sleeping on Friday...more like trying to get work done.

I agree with Betty...especially the bit about XML coding. I hope I can get a chance to peek at the final project.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, exciting stuff!

But will the NL still be open on Saturday?

8:38 AM  
Blogger andystardust said...

Yes, Christine, the Newberry will still be open on Saturday. Maybe next year we can negotiate a full weekend off.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home