What is a record?
I've started my fall class, 775: Archival Administration and Services. It's being taught by Doug Bicknese, new adjunct faculty at Dominican and, until recently, Archivist at UIC. Doug has adapted the syllabus from the one developed by Lorraine Madway, and one of the things I like about the first week's reading assignments is the diversity of perspectives they represent. They include keynote addresses to the Society of American Archivists as printed in issues of the SAA's journal, American Archivist, an online version of an out of print textbook on archives as hosted by the Getty, an essay by Boston College professor James O'Toole about the trial between Boston University and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center deciding where King's early papers should be kept, and an episode of Public Radio International's This American Life. That last is one I've listened to several times; it's about the relationship a guy had for twenty years with an old abandoned house he and his friends explored as children and the family that had abandoned it. For tomorrow's class we've been asked to bring a record of our choosing, and as is usually the case when given such an easy, open-ended assignment, I am overthinking the task, mentally combing through my office trying to decide what to choose. One of the readings claims that archives tend to serve two major functions: 1., as evidence of what transpired, and 2., as a source of secondary information. Is a blog like this one a kind of archival record? Will it last long enough to serve that purpose? If I printed out every post and all the comments and stuck it in an acid-free folder, would that constitute an archive?
2 Comments:
Whoa...excellent question one that I was thinking of during my Int. Publishing class last week. This whole idea of permancy...what does that mean in the digital 'Verse? Can archives be maintained in the free floating world of the internet or do archivist have to put records in a more permanent place (acid free box, jump drive, etc.). In terms of online journals is this something we have to be concerned about? Should be save our journals on a CD or drive or simply keep records on our website? What is the best way of preserving our work?
A friend of mine once pointed me to a third-party program designed for LiveJournal users that would download a user's entire journal (HTML, digital images, links and all) and store it in a file on one's hard drive. The program can detect whatever new entries I make and download those whenever I activate it. The problem with that, from an archival standpoint, is that you need the program in order to read the entries. (It's not readable, say, as an HTML document.) Still, I do it from time to time, just as a kind of "backup."
Post a Comment
<< Home