Thursday, January 4, 2007

Cyberinfrastructure in the humanities and social sciences.

For a few months I've been following the posts over at the ACRLog, the offical blog of the Association of Colleges & Research Libraries. The blog has several contributors, all of them academic librarians working in the field. This is a perfect example of the way blogs increase transparency : reading the ACRLog has allowed me to hang around and see what academic librarians are thinking about as I try to find my own way in the field -- and I don't have to join an organization, pay dues or attend conferences. Of course I can do all of that later if I find academia to be my true calling, but in the meantime I appreciate the chance to browse.

Last week Barbara Fister posted about a report issued by the American Council of Learned Societies last summer. As summarized by Fister, the report makes recommendations about the role scholars in the humanities and social sciences can play now that, in Fister's words, "the Internet is changing creation and communication." The report recommends, for example, that scholars consider a larger audience for their work, including (again in Fister's words) "students and citizens, hobbyists and specialists."

Again, transparency.

Fundamentally, this issue revolves around scholarly publishing: expensive print journals and electronic databases. The expense exists to pay the stipends of researchers, and because allegedly the audience for scholarly works is so very small. But as quoted by Fister, this report suggests "It may make more sense to conceive of scholarly communication as a public good than as a marketable commodity," and "A relatively small audience on the open Web will still be a far larger audience than scholars in these disciplines have been able to find up to now in academic bookstores, in research libraries, and in print journals."

2 Comments:

Blogger Joy Austria said...

This is a subject of interest for me and even more reason why you should take Internet Publishing. What's holding the humanities and social sciences from embracing online publishing as much as the sciences? It's about meeting the communication needs of this group. I think playing with the actual presentation format of journal articles has something to do with it. A couple of articles you might consider reading in your non-existent spare time:


Why study users? An environmental scan of use and users of digital resources in humanities and social sciences undergraduate education


Diane Harley's article is featured in this month's issue of First Monday

Joel D. Kitchens, 2000. "Electronic scholarly publishing and the future of history," Journal of the Association for History and Computing, volume 3, number 2 (August)

12:38 AM  
Blogger andystardust said...

Awesome! Thanks, Joy!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home