Quoted.
"Raised with instant access to information, Generation Xers are accustomed to frequent, immediate feedback. But they don't always get it. In our Generations survey, 30 percent of Xers said they receive their phone bill more often than they get relevant feedback on the job. That's a huge source of frustration. "
-- Lynne C. Lancaster, "The Click and Clash of Generations." Library Journal. October 15, 2003: 38.
While I'm a fan of Douglas Coupland's novel Generation X and at one point in my life embraced the label, I don't entirely agree with the over-simplified characterizations in this article. The thesis here is that if the generations understand one another they will work more successfully as a team and thus better serve the patrons ... who are themselves born of many different generations. Which is fine. But I fit somewhere between the Gen Xer and the Millennial in the astrological-like character portraits here: I don't distrust all institutions and I don't always embrace change.
That said, the business I quoted above fits me to a tee: always impatient for communication and response from the higher-ups.
-- Lynne C. Lancaster, "The Click and Clash of Generations." Library Journal. October 15, 2003: 38.
While I'm a fan of Douglas Coupland's novel Generation X and at one point in my life embraced the label, I don't entirely agree with the over-simplified characterizations in this article. The thesis here is that if the generations understand one another they will work more successfully as a team and thus better serve the patrons ... who are themselves born of many different generations. Which is fine. But I fit somewhere between the Gen Xer and the Millennial in the astrological-like character portraits here: I don't distrust all institutions and I don't always embrace change.
That said, the business I quoted above fits me to a tee: always impatient for communication and response from the higher-ups.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home