Fed up.
Another full day at the Newberry paging books and putting out fires. Another night conducting research for a library school paper I barely believe in.
"Join the Dominican University GSLIS community," an email I received tonight says, "as we gear up for an exciting Spring with two exciting back-to-back programs on April 19 and 20." But like a hundred emails previously from the "GSLIS community," this is advertising events scheduled during the day, while I am at work.
And no matter how many times I complain about it, it never changes.
"Join the Dominican University GSLIS community," an email I received tonight says, "as we gear up for an exciting Spring with two exciting back-to-back programs on April 19 and 20." But like a hundred emails previously from the "GSLIS community," this is advertising events scheduled during the day, while I am at work.
And no matter how many times I complain about it, it never changes.
Labels: dominican
3 Comments:
Hello,
It sounds like you're really frustrated with the overall Dominican experience, and I can certainly relate to that. That is one reason I am expediting my own program in order to graduate sooner and move on to something else. My complaints about the program hinge on the lack of rigor and the outmoded view of librarianship I think GSLIS fosters. Oh, and the number of fellow students who are just jumping through hoops to buy an expensive credential with minimal work or personal investment.
But anyway...know that you are not alone in your frustration, even if we are frustrated about different things. It is nice to see someone who works full-time talking about better access to the graduate school community....because many of the people in positions like yours don't even care (which is one of the reasons I am so disappointed with Dominican).
I know we've never met, but if you ever want to chat, drop me a line.
Best,
Brian
Hi Brian.
Thanks for commenting. I was very pleased to stumble on your blog a few weeks ago, and immediately felt an affinity for your perspective on librarianship and especially about Dominican. Around that time I made the decision to take the summer semester off and "regroup," with the idea that I will probably start again in the fall in an "expedited" fashion.
I suppose you are probably right about about most full-time workers at Dominican not caring. To be honest, many graduates of Dominican with whom I work at the Newberry have recommended that I move through the program as quickly as possible and stop looking for "better access to the graduate community" because, they argue, I won't find much relevancy to my own interests. Maybe they're right, but like you, I find it all very disappointing.
Boy can I relate. I am currently trying to negotiate a practicum and all the documents are pdf and cannot be typed upon so one has to either scan them (and they don't turn out) or print on them. Aren't we training to be information professionals? Why do they not provide these forms as macros that can be typed on? How behind is the technology there?
My school district provides forms in word that can be typed on and at least look professional. I am SO GLAD this is my last Dominican esperience!
Post a Comment
<< Home