Sunday, November 25, 2007

End of a blog?

Maybe it's kind of ridiculous to point out the obvious, but I think this blog has outlived its usefulness. I am not living online as much as I once did. (Though I am maintaining a presence on Facebook.) As I've indicated previously here, the blogposts and podcasts and bookmarks and reader comments were just too much for me to keep up with, and when I enrolled in two classes this semester they were the first activities I jettisoned in favor of scholarly articles on archival theory, books on my reading list and DVD rentals from GreenCine. Like so many people, I am trying to find what works for me in terms of wading through the great glut of data the world is creating, and I think blogging may be one of the experiments I have to leave behind.


I've been thinking, though, about what to do with this little archive of library school musings. So many blogs just vanish ... a broken link on someone's blogroll. Do I just somehow archive the text of the blog and remove it from the web? Or should I leave it here and risk that someone who Googles me will stumble onto some out of date record of my bitterness. It's bothered me, for example, that for months the top of my blog has been a rant about Dominican and my longtime workplace, the Newberry Library. The bitterness I expressed there is ancient history for me, but there it is, still front page news (at least from the perspective of someone looking for me on the web).


For now I will leave this here as a sort of archival record. I will be finishing library school at the end of Summer 2008. Maybe before then I will change my mind and find something else to do with this.


Ta ta for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home